Brand Capital International (BCI) is the strategic investment arm of The Times Group - India’s largest multimedia conglomerate - that invests in startups looking to expand to India. BCI leverages brand-led growth and value creation via unique and pioneering investment models and brings branding expertise as well as intellectual capital to help entrepreneurs understand the intricacies of the Indian business ecosystem. BCI also helps entrepreneurs plan and build with their expansion by offering effective corporate branding strategies that lead to growth and enterprise value creation. Since our inception in 2004, we have made over 900+ investments across diverse sectors such as: Media & Entertainment, Gaming, Retail, Consumer Durables, Real Estate, Mobile, and more.
BCI is seeking to hire a senior-level venture capital attorney to manage the organization’s legal affairs and play an important role in our operations and corporate compliance efforts. The role is ideal for an attorney who enjoys negotiating and reviewing legal transactions but is also looking for a broader role in a growing international organization.
The internal counsel portion of this role involves coordinating and/or performing legal review of transaction matters between the investment team and the firm’s outside counsel on most initial investments; leading the legal review of transaction matters on most follow-on investments; leading execution on most compliance matters, including regulatory filings required; reviewing commercial and employment contracts; and coordinating legal efforts with outside counsel relating to future fund formations.
The business operations portion of this role is adjacent to the legal affairs portion in that it involves managing various human resources and recruiting initiatives that often require legal review or have legal implications, but importantly, are critical to the growth and success of Brand Capital International. A successful candidate will enjoy the challenge of tackling operational issues required for the growth and success of the firm.
• Candidate should have at least 5 years of experience at a leading law firm or other venture capital organization with significant experience working on financing transactions and other legal matters involving venture-backed technology companies is mandatory.
• Additional experience in following disciplines a plus: business and corporate transactions, mergers and acquisitions, entity formations, joint ventures, and international financing transactions.
• J.D. or equivalent degree from a leading law school with excellent academic credentials.
• Candidate should have California Bar Admissions.
• Experience working with international senior level management.
• Extremely professional, polished, communication style both verbal and written.
• A sense of urgency, initiative, and motivation - and thrives in an entrepreneurial environment.
• An understanding and interest in overall strategic business operations, and how all the pieces come together.
• An interest in emerging technology companies and venture capital.
• Ability to be effective in a close-knit (25 person), organization.
• Strong experience working with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrates strong business judgment and project management skills to be able to execute beyond core legal areas. Exhibits the potential to be a strategic business leader and a value-added partner to the investment and administrative teams across multiple areas.
• An entrepreneurial mindset, which includes having flexibility and interest in taking on a variety of tasks to support the firm’s growth.
*The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.